Thursday, May 7, 2009

Conversations with Hannah

Hannah brings her baby "Rain Rain" into the room with one of her new diapers and says, "She's crying. I a good doctor. I make her better."
me - you are a good Dr.
H - yes.
me - are you going to be a Dr when you get big like mommy and daddy?
H - yes. and I get big and drive car and go to work and eat food *breath* and you will sit in the car seat like I does and be a baby and I drive you to work and get food *breath* and I carry you like this (cradled) and rock you and sing Rock A By Baby.
me - ok. I can't wait.
H - yes. I a good Doctor.
*Her baby never got a new diaper after that, but hannah did get her to stop crying.*

Then, during nap time, she starts calling for me, but I can't understand what she's saying. Usually, it's "I all done" or "I have poopy", etc. I had to stand by her door to make sure what I was hearing before I went in.
She was yelling, "Mommy, I a hippo!"
Confused, I go in and see her piled in the corner of her crib wrapped in a blanket and pretending to sit/swim in the water like a hippo. ????? She then asked me to be a hippo. I refused, as I wanted nap time to continue. She threw a little fit, I raised my voice a little bit, then we continued nap time.

Later in the day, I was trying to find a way to escape and be alone with my shows. Hannah insists on watching "her shows" all the time now if the TV is on. So I said, "why don't you watch a show in the living room and mommy will watch a show in my room". Hannah, "Naahhh, that not a good idea." SO close!

Another day, nap time, she takes several animals with her to bed. I hear her still playing in there 45minutes later and yell through the door to lay down and go to sleep. She says, OK, but first we are being a circus. I said, go to sleep now, babies too. She said, OK, but first I need a drink. I go in her room with drink in hand and she shows me how her babies are being a circus. I tell her, they don't need to be circus right now, it's nap time. She says, "No, Mommy, we are PRETENDING to be a circus". Yes, Hannah, I understand you are pretending, but it's time to pretend to sleep now. She did end up falling asleep that day -finally. I think the babies may need to come out of the bed. They keep her awake with all "their" pretending.

Last night, we were brushing Hannah's teeth and I lifted my shirt to look at the state of my belly button. Hannah looked at me perplexed and asked, "Mommy, why you gettin' SO BIG!?" It was as if she was noticing my big belly for the first time.
I explained Eva was growing in there and making Mommy's belly big. She didn't seem to like it at first, but pointed out where Eva's arm was (pointing to a big vein on my belly) then said that she could see Eva's eyes. Later, during bed time, she was sitting on her rocking chair and pushed out her belly and said, "Mommy, look, I gettin' SO BIG, too!"

Oh, Hannah now calls Dan, Dan! Let me tell you, he LOVES that - NOT!

She has also taken to saying "Naaaaaahhh", when asked to do something. "She will also say, Nah, you can do it."

If told that she must do such and such so that we can - go to play group, go to the play ground, eat dinner, etc - she thinks on it and says "I don't want to - fill in the blank. The threats don't work with her anymore. I just have to give direct orders.

On Mother's Day, we had a very busy day - thanks to Dan for making the day wonderful. We tried to give Hannah a nap, but she never fell asleep. So, by 8pm when we left the Olive Garden to drive home, she refused to get into her car seat. I put on my stern voice and told her to get in her seat "right now young lady. I mean it." She wrinkles up her nose at me and says "I am sick of the attitude!" Wow, there's something else I can no longer say to her.

She also enjoys telling us both "NO!". We are working on that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun, creative little girl. =)