Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yay for Gov. Strickland!

The Ohio Governor just signed a new booster seat law. I'm so happy! After coming from Texas where any child over 36" can ride in an adult seat belt, to Ohio, where the law wasn't much better, I am very excited about this change. More and more states are coming around and doing their part to make children safer in the car.

The new law states that children under 8 years old and under 4ft 9inches must be in a booster seat.

Why do we need a law you ask? Because the majority of parents think that if something isn't against the law, it must be safe. They will only put their children in a car seat if the law says they have to, same with boosters, bike helmets, leaving children home alone, leaving them alone in the car, etc. It's sad that the law has to tell parents how to protect their children, but it is what it is. The laws of physics don't change just because the laws of the State do, but it is a big jump in the right direction and I hope more states continue to follow suit.

A big thumbs up to Governor Strickland and the sponsors of the bill. I'm proud of you!!


And now for my usual car safety links:
When is my child ready to ride in an adult seat belt? I love this information, written by a Child Passenger Safety Technician on car-seat.org. Filled with great information.
Another link to the 5- step test.

1 comment:

The Doctors Wife said...

I think it is time I write another article about car seats. thanks for the reminder.