Thursday, September 11, 2008

Change of plans

We had planned on taking a trip to Hot Springs, AR to visit my brother and sister Friday thru Monday. However, we decided to cancel at the last minute. We were flying stand by and the flight in the morning was filling up fast. It looked as though we wouldn't make it in the plane. SO, we are staying home. It's probably better this way. They are expecting strong storms from Hurricane Ike in Arkansas and I would hate to be cooped up in the house all weekend. Also, they lost power for several days when Gustav blew through. We definitely wouldn't want a replay of that. I guess it's just a sign that I need to stay home and get ready for the big trip coming up next week.

I am flying with Hannah to MIL's house on Thursday and leaving her there on Saturday. I will then meet Dan in San Diego for a friend's wedding. We will stay there until Monday, when we will rent a car and drive to LA to stay with Dan's sister and a few friends until Thursday. Then, we are flying to San Francisco to be with Dan's family for his 30th birthday. I can't believe he's almost 30! We really are growing up. Seems so strange to think that we were together for his 19th birthday, and now here we are. And we have a little girl, too! We have a come a long way and have really had a difficult year. This trip will be very rejuvenating for us; as a couple, and as parents. We have never been away from Hannah this long (well, I haven't). I am looking forward to the time to spend with Dan and friends and reconnect.

An added bonus will be if I can finally wean Hannah. This child has been difficult to wean. I never thought I would be nursing a 2 year old, but here we are. She is being so good about it, though. She is down to just nursing at bedtime, and only for a minute. When she asks during the day, I tell her "not until bedtime". Tonight, when I counted to 10 and said "all done", Hannah said, "I go Emmy's house. No milkies." I've been telling her for the last month (only a few times) that she will start to have milk from a cup like a big girl. She will stay with Emmy soon and not have Mommy Milkies anymore. I guess she gets it now. It's not something I tell her all the time, because I don't want it to back fire. I just didn't want to shock her with it next week. I'm so proud of her. She's getting so big and really smart. It's great to see her "get it" after we discuss something. I love it! Now we just have to see what happens when I return after a week. I wonder if she'll remember and ask again?

I tried to tell her "milkies all gone" the other day and she looked at me very sad and then perked up and said "other side?". She just knew there had to be some in the other side. I know that's a bit TMI for some you, but those are the things you hear when nursing a toddler. I will be sad to be finished, but I know it's time for both of us. I have been so blessed to be able to nurse at all and especially that it went so well for so long. I will enjoy the last few nights of nursing my baby this week. I'm sad that this is it. It will be good to have my body back for a little while. Well, until I'm pregnant again and another little one takes it over. Oh, the joys of being a mother.

No comments: